Middle Level Orchestra
Fall Dinner Meeting
September 10, 2018 - 6:00 PM
Holton Elementary School
Saturday, December 1, 2018
Topeka-Washburn Rural High School
October 10, 2018
$10.00 per student must be paid in full with registration. Checks and money orders are accepted, but NO PURCHASE ORDERS. Make checks payable to: Northeast KMEA
Registration is a 2-step process
Middle Level Orchestra Nominations
- Submit your student registration information on the online form (will be located in the KMEA Members site members.ksmea.org)
- Mail your fees and a print-out of your generated invoice to the chairperson.
Students are not auditioned, but are nominated by their orchestra director.
Each Middle School and High School represented in the honor orchestra are allotted 5 students per school.
Nominations should be submitted with a balanced group in mind (2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 bass).
Grades 8-9 (musicians should have 3-4 years of playing experience).
Section Leader Nomination Process
- Students who audition for section leader should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Comfortable reading finger patters in A major, C major, F major, and B-flat Major
- III Position, V position (violin), IV Position (cello and bass), ½ Position (bass)
- 3 octave scales
- Spiccato with string crossings
- Body cues and section leadership skills
- Clear, strong tone
- When registering the student, make sure to check the "section leader" option on the registration application.
- You will be notified via email before the mini-convention to confirm that your student still wishes to audition as a section leader.
- Students that have been marked as section leaders will audition via a live-audition process the day of the mini-convention and seated accordingly after the first break in the rehearsal schedule.
- Audition excerpts will be selected from this year's chosen middle level pieces.
Ocean Storm - Vivaldi/Fritz - Wynn Music Publishers
Contrasts in E Minor - Francis L Feese - Young World Publishing
Fantasia on an Original Theme - Joseph Phillips - Alfred
Henry Littich has taught as an orchestra/strings teacher since 1997. He became the Director of
Orchestras for Smoky Valley Public Schools in 2009, where he teaches at Smoky Valley High
School, Smoky Valley Middle School and Soderstrom Elementary School (grades 4-12). Littich
began conducting the Salina Junior Youth Symphony in 2011. Since Littich's arrival in
Lindsborg, the Smoky Valley High School String and Symphony Orchestras have consistently
earned first division superior ratings at the KSHSAA Large Ensemble Music Contest. In addition
to outstanding ensemble performances, Littich's students have earned individual accolades,
earning seats in the State and District Honor Orchestras as well as high ratings at state and
district solo and small ensemble music contests. The Smoky Valley High School Orchestra
performed at the Kansas Music Educators Association In-Service Workshop in February 2015.
Prior to coming to Lindsborg, Littich taught orchestra in Odessa, Texas. He holds a bachelor of
music education and a master of music from Kansas State University, where he studied violin
with Cora Cooper. In addition to his work in the Smoky Valley school district, Littich plays
violin with the Salina Symphony and currently serves as the orchestra chair for South Central
KMEA and state president of the Kansas American String Teachers Association.
KMEA Membership Requirement
The NEKMEA board voted to require membership in NAfME-KMEA in order to register students for NEKMEA honor groups.
This is in line with the KMEA policy requiring membership in order to register students for KMEA All-State ensembles.
- Join NAfME. Indicate Kansas in your membership profile.
- Set up an account in the KMEA Members website.
This creates a connection between your NAfME profile and KMEA's registration systems.
- After creating an account in the KMEA Members site, select your district affiliation so you may participate in elections.
- When registering students for NE district or All-State ensembles, your NAfME ID will be part of the registration.
- Do not wait until the deadline day to start this process!