Major Scales up to four sharps and four flats are a part of the Northeast District Audition, regardless of whether or not they are required at state.
Please refer to the "Practical Ranges for Audition Scales
" when advising students on the
number of octaves required of specific scales.
Participation Eligibility Requirements
There are three requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for the NEKMEA Band, Jazz Band or Orchestra Winds/Percussion membership:
Music Requirements for the Live Audition:
- The student must first be a performing member of their school's band program.
- The student's director must submit an online audition form and a printed form with payment to NEKMEA for each student auditioning.
This form must be submitted by the deadline established by NEKMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
- A full range chromatic scale slurred up and tongued down. Quarter Note MM= 120. Memorization is not required.
- One major scale with up to 4 sharps or 4 flats. Quarter Note MM= 120.
Memorization is not required. All scales will start on the lowest possible starting note in the practical range.
Each scale is non-transposed (i.e., if a trumpet player is asked to perform a C scale, they will be expected to perform a C scale on their instrument, not a C concert scale.)
The major scale for each instrument will be posted by the band chairpersons on the morning of live auditions.
- Sections of the required etudes/solos.
- Sight reading
2021-22 Audition Excerpts