Middle Level Orchestra
Sep. 13 - Business Meeting @ Lawrence HS
Oct. 13 - Nomination Deadline
Dec. 4 - Clinic & Concert @ Topeka-Washburn Rural HS
Section Leader Nomination Process
- Nomination deadline is October 13, 2021.
- Nominations are entered in the KMEA Members site.
Students are nominated by their teacher, who must be a member of KMEA. There is no audition.
- Each Middle School and High School represented in the honor orchestra are allotted 5 students per school.
- Nominations should be submitted with a balanced group in mind (2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 bass).
- Grades 8-9 only. Musicians should have 3-4 years of playing experience.
- Students who audition for section leader should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Comfortable reading finger patters in A major, C major, F major, and B-flat Major
- III Position, V position (violin), IV Position (cello and bass), ½ Position (bass)
- 3 octave scales
- Spiccato with string crossings
- Body cues and section leadership skills
- Clear, strong tone
- When nominating the student, make sure to check the "section leader" option in the form.
- You will be notified via email before the mini-convention to confirm that your student still wishes to audition as a section leader.
- Students that have been marked as section leaders will audition via a live-audition process the day of the mini-convention and seated accordingly after the first break in the rehearsal schedule.
- Audition excerpts will be selected from this year's chosen middle level pieces.
Mail your payment, invoice
and a copy of your nomination list to the chairperson.
$10.00 per student must be paid immediately after the nomination. Checks and money orders are accepted, but NO PURCHASE ORDERS. Make checks payable to: Northeast KMEA
- Violet's Tango, by Doug Spata
- Forever Joyful, by Brian Balmages
- Conquistador!, by Deborah Baker Monday
(Note: There is a song by a similar title by the same composer)
KMEA Membership Requirement
The NEKMEA board voted to require membership in NAfME-KMEA in order to register students for NEKMEA honor groups.
This is in line with the KMEA policy requiring membership in order to register students for KMEA All-State ensembles.
- Join NAfME. Indicate Kansas in your membership profile.
- Set up an account in the KMEA Members website.
This creates a connection between your NAfME profile and KMEA's registration systems.
- After creating an account in the KMEA Members site, select your district affiliation so you may participate in elections.
- When registering students for NE district or All-State ensembles, your NAfME ID will be part of the registration.
- Do not wait until the deadline day to start this process!