Middle Level Orchestra
NEKMEA In-Person mini-conventions are cancelled for 2020-21. Nominated ensembles will not take place.
NEKMEA Middle Level Orchestra will be for grades 8-9.
Saturday, Dec. 5, 2020
Topeka-Washburn Rural High School
October 14, 2020
$10.00 per student must be paid in full with registration. Checks and money orders are accepted, but NO PURCHASE ORDERS. Make checks payable to: Northeast KMEA
Registration is a 2-step process
Middle Level Orchestra Nominations
- Submit your student registration information on the online form (will be located in the KMEA Members site members.ksmea.org)
- Mail your fees and a print-out of your generated invoice to the chairperson.
Students are not auditioned, but are nominated by their orchestra director.
Each Middle School and High School represented in the honor orchestra are allotted 5 students per school.
Nominations should be submitted with a balanced group in mind (2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 bass).
Grades 8-9 (musicians should have 3-4 years of playing experience).
Section Leader Nomination Process
- Students who audition for section leader should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Comfortable reading finger patters in A major, C major, F major, and B-flat Major
- III Position, V position (violin), IV Position (cello and bass), ½ Position (bass)
- 3 octave scales
- Spiccato with string crossings
- Body cues and section leadership skills
- Clear, strong tone
- When registering the student, make sure to check the "section leader" option on the registration application.
- You will be notified via email before the mini-convention to confirm that your student still wishes to audition as a section leader.
- Students that have been marked as section leaders will audition via a live-audition process the day of the mini-convention and seated accordingly after the first break in the rehearsal schedule.
- Audition excerpts will be selected from this year's chosen middle level pieces.
KMEA Membership Requirement
The NEKMEA board voted to require membership in NAfME-KMEA in order to register students for NEKMEA honor groups.
This is in line with the KMEA policy requiring membership in order to register students for KMEA All-State ensembles.
- Join NAfME. Indicate Kansas in your membership profile.
- Set up an account in the KMEA Members website.
This creates a connection between your NAfME profile and KMEA's registration systems.
- After creating an account in the KMEA Members site, select your district affiliation so you may participate in elections.
- When registering students for NE district or All-State ensembles, your NAfME ID will be part of the registration.
- Do not wait until the deadline day to start this process!