Middle Level Orchestra
Sep. 12 - Business Meeting @ Lawrence HS
Oct. 12 - Nomination Deadline - $10 participation fee per selected student
Dec. 3 - Clinic & Concert @ Topeka-Washburn Rural HS
Section Leader Nomination Process
- Nomination deadline is October 12, 2022.
- Nominations are entered in the KMEA Members site.
Students are nominated by their teacher, who must be a member of KMEA. There is no audition.
- Each Middle School and High School represented in the honor orchestra are allotted 5 students per school.
- Nominations should be submitted with a balanced group in mind (2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 bass).
- Grades 8-9 only. Musicians should have 3-4 years of playing experience.
- Students who audition for section leader should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Comfortable reading finger patterns in A major, C major, F major, and B-flat Major
- III Position, V position (violin), IV Position (cello and bass), ½ Position (bass)
- 3 octave scales
- Spiccato with string crossings
- Body cues and section leadership skills
- Clear, strong tone
- When nominating the student, make sure to check the "section leader" option in the form.
- You will be notified via email before the mini-convention to confirm that your student still wishes to audition as a section leader.
- Students that have been marked as section leaders will audition via a live-audition process the day of the mini-convention and seated accordingly after the first break in the rehearsal schedule.
- Audition excerpts will be selected from this year's chosen middle level pieces.
Mail your payment, invoice
and a copy of your nomination list to the chairperson.
$10.00 per student must be paid immediately after the nomination. Checks and money orders are accepted, but NO PURCHASE ORDERS. Make checks payable to: Northeast KMEA
Highland Etling Publishing
Hail the Conquering Hero
George Frederic Handel
Arr. by John Caponegro
Kendor Music Publishing
Elliot Del Borgo
Kendor Music Publishing
KMEA Membership Requirement
The NEKMEA board voted to require membership in NAfME-KMEA in order to register students for NEKMEA honor groups.
This is in line with the KMEA policy requiring membership in order to register students for KMEA All-State ensembles.
- Join NAfME. Indicate Kansas in your membership profile.
- Set up an account in the KMEA Members website.
This creates a connection between your NAfME profile and KMEA's registration systems.
- After creating an account in the KMEA Members site, select your district affiliation so you may participate in elections.
- When registering students for NE district or All-State ensembles, your NAfME ID will be part of the registration.
- Do not wait until the deadline day to start this process!