Middle Level Band
7th/8th Grade Band: Johannah Cox
9th Grade Band: Shawn Knopp
Sep. 12 - Business Meeting @ Lawrence HS
Oct. 11 - Nomination Deadline - $10 participation fee per selected student
Dec. 3 - Mini-Conventions (Bands @ Topeka-Seaman HS)
The Middle Level Bands (7th/8th Grade Band, 9th Grade Band) provide an honor band experience for top-performing students from each nominating school. Students will have approximately 4 hours of rehearsal with an accomplished local band director, concluding with a concert. Music is distributed through band directors in advance, and students are expected to have prepared their parts before arriving. Directors may nominate up to 12 students for participation in each band (12 for 7th/8th grade; 12 for 9th grade). Students are selected based on rankings and detailed information provided in nominations.
All nominations must be entered online in the KMEA Members site. Nominate top-performing students who will be an asset to the group and will contribute and learn from working with an outstanding music educator. Directors, please provide detailed information in your nominations that will best represent each student's ability. (i.e. practical range, other honor band participation, private lessons, other outstanding qualifications). The list of accepted students will be posted on the website and emailed to nominating directors within one week of the nomination deadline. At least one student will be accepted from each nominating school. Nominating directors must be a current member of NAfME, and will be required to provide a valid membership number when nominating students. Directors, please ensure your students will be available to attend the event before nominating them.
Eligible percussionists are students who are strong in all percussion specialties: mallets, timpani, and snare drum. Each selected student will be assigned a mallet part, snare drum part, bass drum or accessory, and other instruments per repertoire requirements. Nominated students would be expected to play any instrument.
Each selected student will incur a $10 participation fee. Please send one school check payable to NEKMEA to the chairperson (address on this screen) AFTER rosters have been posted. Use our Invoice Generator to create your printed invoice. Do not send money until you receive the results and you know how many students you have participating. Student participation fees must be paid before rehearsals begin.
Event Location & Schedule
Topeka-Seaman High School
4850 NW Rochester Rd
Topeka, KS 66617
- 8:00 AM - Middle Level Bands begin rehearsals; breaks and lunchtime included
- 1:00 PM - Concert
What to Bring
Honor Band members will need to bring the following to the event:
- Your Instrument & Music that was mailed to you. No extra music will be provided.
- Folding music stand! No music stands will be provided.
- Show up in the morning wearing your school concert uniform, concert black, or black pants/skirt and a white dress top.You will not have a chance to change clothes before the concert.
- Percussionists will need to bring all mallets, sticks, and any instruments they play. Bass Drum, timpani, and mallet keyboards are the only instruments that will be provided. Each participating percussionist will be assigned an instrument to bring in addition to their personal materials.
KMEA Membership RequirementThe NEKMEA board voted to require membership in NAfME-KMEA in order to register students for NEKMEA honor groups. This is in line with the KMEA policy requiring membership in order to register students for KMEA All-State ensembles.
- Join NAfME. Indicate Kansas in your membership profile.
- Set up an account in the KMEA Members website. This creates a connection between your NAfME profile and KMEA's registration systems.
- After creating an account in the KMEA Members site, select your district affiliation so you may participate in elections.
- When registering students for NE district or All-State ensembles, your NAfME ID will be part of the registration.
- Do not wait until the deadline day to start this process!